search 4 quilts

Custom Search

Monday, April 20, 2009

New Baby quilts

I am working on a new baby quilt for my great granson that will be born around the end of May. I started a lone star quilt that just seemed to grow under my fingertips. I used the fast star pattern from Montana Star Quilts by Linda Parker. I found that this book at the Bozeman Montana Museum. You should be able to find a copy of this book online or at your favorite quilt store. My granson's lineage is from the Rosebud Sioux tribe from Rapid City South Dakota. I wanted to make his son something that honors his father's heritage. I chose non traditional baby colors using Southwest by Michelle Watts for Moda fabrics. The colors were just right for this type of quilts but you can use any fabrics that you desire. Traditional Lone Star quilts were made from satin or cotton. Satin fabrics should be set with fusible interfacing to maintain it shape and keep the fabric from unraveling. Traditionally these quilts were made in 24 hours. I am just finishing this one. I will post a picture of it when I am done. My quilt top was made in 3 days. I used 45 degree templates that were purchased from Keepsake Quilts. This would be fun for an intermediate quilter to do for their grand children. A keepsake to last for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment